November 10, 2004

I think my church may hate me.

The other week i had the honor of preaching in the service of my church. i know that probably sounds sarcastic, as it doesn't really excite me that much, but the truth is, i don't like to do it due to the fact that it's a big responsibility, so i take it really seriously, and i end up being something of a perfectionist when i prepare my sermon. as i was waiting for the worship pastor to be done introducing me, and as my stomach was aggressively digesting itself, i thought it would be cool to go up there without my shoes on. no big, right? i've always liked the idea of being barefoot when in front of the church, symbolizing, in my mind, that i'm walking on sanctified ground. To be in a position of teaching in front of the church is, i think, a holy thing- sharing the message that God has given to His congregation.

I don't think anyone remembers anymore what i preached about. all they know is that i did it without shoes on. seriously. i really didn't think most people would notice, or care, but it seems that while i was giving the sermon that took me forever and a day to get right, everyone was staring at my feet. it even came up at the council meeting- one of the moms was a little frustrated that she has to fight to get her kids to dress up for church, and the youth pastor, their most relevant role model in the church, walks around without his shoes on! it's now been almost 3 weeks since the sermon, and the kids on campus were talking to me about it again. i really wish i had known that it was going to be such a big deal- i would have used it as an illustration or metaphor for something. it's definately the most memorable thing about my preaching. and not everyone thought it was a good thing. i hear, in fact, that someone requested that i not preach again. it seems that bare feet are offensive. well, i'm not sorry. i'm gonna keep pushing that envelope, riding that ragged edge, always looking for a better high.

Must....control....sarcasm......

No comments: